Posts About:

Saturday, September 3, 2011

First Day on the Job

Last night was my first night of training at The Office. It was a lot tougher than I expected. I was only there for 3 and a half hours, but when I left, I went straight to Walgreens and bought Dr. Scholl's pads for my shoes, and IcyHot for my feet and legs. It's been a while since I've worked a job where I'm on my feet the whole time. And the guy training me never stopped moving.
The guy who was training me wasn't so much training me as having me follow him around and explaining a few things on the POS. And I understand that he has to work his shifts and serve his customers and that's his first priority, but maybe when we had a lull in customers, instead of having me fold napkins and roll up silver wear, he could have taken me over to the POS and showed me how it works, how I clock in and out, how I finish up a check and add a tip, instead of just having me watch him do it. I think that's going to be the thing I need the most training on. Just finding all of the different menu items and making sure I put them in correctly. But I eventually got used to the one at Starbucks, so I guess it will just come with doing it over and over.
I also realized about twenty minutes in, after we'd served about three beers, that I need to bring a drink with me. Between how good the food smells, how hot the kitchen gets, and how much running around there is, you start to get thirsty.
As excited as I am to have the job, I'm so used to working in the morning and then having the rest of the day to do whatever. Now at about 3:00, I get that feeling of "Ugh I have to go to work". I hope that once I'm actually working and earning tips that feeling will go away.
Well, I have tonight, and then I get tomorrow and Monday off, and Monday I'll be spending the day at the Renaissance Faire :D That will be the last day for a while that I allow myself to spend money. After that, it's all about saving up for the new apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment