Posts About:

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

So my second night of training was much better than my first. Christian seemed like he was actually excited about training me, as opposed to Mike, who seemed more like he was annoyed by it. Christian explained what he was doing to me, while Mike just told me to watch him. Christian showed me how to put orders in on the computer, wrote up a fake order and hand me put it in, and even had me put in some of his orders. He also called me his padawan, which made me love him.
My third night I was back with Mike, but since Christian had shown me a lot of stuff I was more comfortable. It was a slow night, so the assistant manager had me sit down Mike and one of the other guys and pretend to serve them. I told them that I still wasn't really good with the menu, and they still insisted on asking me questions about what the food was, which made me not only embarrassed, but annoyed. It seemed like they were doing it on purpose. I also learned that apparently not everything that's on the pos is on the menu, which is weird.
Tonight started out awfully. The manager was back from vacation, and apparently had some critiques for Mike on how he was training me, because all of a sudden he started getting really hard on me. He asked me if I knew all the table numbers and sections, and when I said not really, he said "Well you should by now." Why should I? You mentioned them maybe once on my first day. He took me around and told me what each section started with, and then made me count them out loud, and when I miscounted, he got annoyed and condescending. Then he asked me about the menu, and I said that I still didn't have it memorized. He had me pull out the papers and look them over, and then the manager came past and said "Go over it with her". Apparently in his mind that meant "test her on it", because he took the papers and started testing me. When I couldn't answer any of the questions, he got annoyed, and told me to look over each section separately and he would quiz me on them. He then spent each minute for the next five minutes asking me if I was ready to be tested yet. It got to the point where I was to busy telling myself not to cry to memorize the ingredients in all of the salads. I felt like I was going to throw up, so I excused myself to the bathroom.
After I splashed some water on my face, I told myself that I wasn't going to let a guy who was younger than me make me feel like a little kid again. So I came back out, flash memorized each of the things he was going to quiz me on, and decided to spend the morning at the Y actually memorizing everything.
Once it got busier and we had tables to check on he forgot about quizzing me, so I felt like I could relax. I am determined to remember all of the things he did while training me so that I don't do them to someone I may train. Like when he asked me if I could carry out three plates, and I started to attempt to balance one plate in my hand and one on my forearm like I had seen others do, and he said "Eh, no." And instead of showing me the proper way to do it, he just took them himself. How am I supposed to learn from that?

Tomorrow I am actually going to be taking some tables. I think I'll do fine with that. I have customer service down perfectly, it's just the menu that I'm worried about. We'll see how memorizing tomorrow morning goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment